Content summary: Listeners’ comments (on syndicating your RSS feeds and what a church is doing; Technorati search on your name can turn up unknown aggregated content; on keeping up the good work; more on professional journalists vs bloggers; thanks for the mention and the cool show; considering joining IABC and is MyComm any good?); intranets, folksonomies and tagging at IBM; how effective is your RSS measurement?; quick takes on Yahoo! 360; podcasts and accessibility; guesting on the Tech Knowledge podcast; Skype’s new services roll out; blog comment deletion and should you do it?; are character blogs a complete waste of time?
Show notes for April 18, 2005
Welcome to For Immediate Release: The Hobson & Holtz Report, a 76-minute conversation recorded live from Concord, California, USA, and Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Download the file here (MP3, 30.6MB), or sign up for the RSS feed to get it and future shows automatically. (For automatic synchronization with your iPod or other digital player, you’ll also need software such as the FeedDemon RSS aggregator, or the free ipodder or DopplerRadio).
In this edition:
- 00:29 Shel and Neville on what’s in this week’s show; how to give your feedback; show notes; Shel not live in Thursday’s show
- 03:43 Comments from the last shows including 1 call to the Comment Line and 1 MP3
- 22:53 Intranets, folksonomies and tagging – how IBM is developing a tool used by 315,000 employees worldwide
- 35:02 Measuring RSS – how effective are you in getting the message out? We discuss David Berlind’s recent post
- 40:00 Yahoo! 360 – our quick takes: easy to use, integrates well with Yahoo!, nice social networking tool, but not for business
- 46:29 Podcasts and accessibility – should communication tools like this not be used if they’re not accessible by all?
- 50:14 Neville joins Mike Wendland’s Tech Knowledge podcast for a conversation on communication and technology
- 52:56 Skype’s new phone number and voicemail services launched today
- 54:33 Blog comment deletion – should you do it?
- 61:06 Character/fake blogs – are they a waste of time or a valuable marketing tool? (We’re 50/50 on this one – what’s your view?)
- 70:10 Show notes; how to give your feedback; about the music and the band; outro music
Links for the blogs, individuals, companies and organizations we discussed or mentioned in the show:
Intro – iRiver, Adam Curry, Lee Hopkins, Andrew Beacock, Peter West, Sallie Draper, WELS, My Yahoo!, IABC, Catholic Insider, CNN, Don Crowther, Peter West’s post on journalist vs blogger, Mack Male, MyComm, Cisco Systems, Roger D’Aprix, Ragan Report, David Murrary.
Short Takes – IBM, Bud Gibson, American Society for Information Science and Technology, Technorati tags, del.icio.us, IA Summit 2005, IBM’s presentation (PPT), Mike Wing, Lou Gerstner, David Berlind, Nooked, Libsyn, SWAG, iPodder, iPodderX, Yahoo! 360, Mike Manuel, Kevin Dugan, MSN Spaces, Yahoo! 360 reviews, LinkedIn, Hotmail, Global PR Blog Week 2.0, Eric Rice, iPod, Pete Shinbach, Mike Wendland, Detroit Free Press, Skype, SkypeIn, Skype Voicemail.
Features – Shel Israel, The Red Couch, Wiley Publishers, Toby Bloomberg, Paul Chaney, Gourmet Station, Allan Jenkins, GM FastLane Blog, BigHa, Steve Rubel, Hugh McLeod, Captain Morgan’s Rum Blog, Rok Hrastnik, Fredrik Wacka, Susan Getgood, Cartman, South Park, McDonald’s Lincoln Fry Blog, Barbie blog, Constantin Basturea, FakeBlogsWiki.
Outro – Garageband.com, Macromedia, Adobe, PodcastNYC, The Girl Who Has Everything, Motherboard, For Immediate Release, A Shel of My Former Self, NevOn.
If you have comments or questions about this show, or suggestions for our future shows, email us at email@example.com, or call the Comment Line at +1 206 984 0931. You can email your comments, questions and suggestions as MP3 file attachments, if you wish (max. 5Mb attachment, please!). We’ll be happy to see how we can include your audio contribution in a show.
So, until Thursday April 21…
(Cross-posted from For Immediate Release, Shel’s and my podcast blog.)