Content summary: Listeners’ comments (on not knowing what to think about blogs; recording on an iPod; on enjoying open source marketing interview; more on character blogs; screencasting and Camtasia; on IBM intranets and good publicity; suggestions for transcribing interviews; syndicating RSS content; from our Australia correspondent); report on the Blognomics conference; don’t dismiss press releases; restrictions on employee bloggers during an acquisition; internal communication measurement; update on re-publishing blog posts.
Show notes for April 21, 2005
Welcome to For Immediate Release: The Hobson & Holtz Report, a 66-minute conversation recorded live from Amsterdam, The Netherlands, and Oakland Airport, California, USA.
Download the file here (MP3, 27MB), or sign up for the RSS feed to get it and future shows automatically. (For automatic synchronization with your iPod or other digital player, you’ll also need software such as the FeedDemon RSS aggregator, or the free ipodder or DopplerRadio).
In this edition:
- 00:30 Neville on what’s in this week’s show; Shel‘s traveling so pre-recorded contributions from him; how to give your feedback; show notes
- 02:28 Comments from the last shows including 2 calls to the Comment Line and 2 MP3s
- 24:19 Blognomics – brief report on the first business blogging conference in The Netherlands
- 34:42 Press releases – there’s still a place for a targeted vehicle that gets information to mainstream media
- 43:23 The lawyers take control – Abobe‘s acquisition of Macromedia provides some insight into what employee bloggers can and cannot say
- 51:00 Internal communication measurement – finding out who actually uses the company jets, not who you think uses them
- 56:28 PR Blog Watch update
- 59:56 Show notes; how to give your feedback; about the music and the band; outro music
Links for the blogs, individuals, companies and organizations we discussed or mentioned in the show:
Intro – Peter Dean, IABC, Homer Simpson, Nicecast, Technorati, Skype, New Scientist, Dan York, iPod, Griffin iTalk, Packard-Bell, James Cherkoff, Johnnie Moore, Eric Eggertson, Steve Rubel, Jeremy Pepper, Chad Wandler, Camtasia, John Udell, del.icio.us, Heavy Metal Umlaut, Techsmith, MemberGate, Google, Bud Gibson, IBM, Adam Curry, Richard Byrom, Dragon Naturally Speaking, iPAQ 4150, eBay, Office 2003, Debbie Weil, Sallie Draper, WELS Imprint, Lee Hopkins.
Short Takes – Blognomics, RAI, Colby Stuart, Jonathan Marks, Ton Zijlstra, Elmine Wijnia, Marco Derksen, Frank Janssen, Eduard de Wilde, Guido van Nispen, Frank Meuuwsen, Krijn Schuurman, Loic Le Meur, Les Blogs, Flickr, Paul Molenaar, Web-log.nl, Joost Bon, MSN Spaces, Yahoo! 360, MSN Messenger, Feedster, Blogpulse, Gouden Gids blog, Nike, SEC, First Call, Andy Lark, Yahoo! News, Wall Street Journal, Investor’s Business Daily, Verizon News Center, Atlanta Journal Constitution, Adobe, Macromedia, Fredrik Wacka, Mike Chambers, Kevin Lynch, iRiver, Brad Whitworth, Hewlett-Packard, PR Blog Watch, Don Cowther’s 101 Public Relations, Constantin Basturea, Yahoo! RSS News feeds.
Outro – PodcastNYC, Melanie Disa, Ease The Pain, Les Blogs, For Immediate Release, A Shel of My Former Self, NevOn.
If you have comments or questions about this show, or suggestions for our future shows, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the Comment Line at +1 206 984 0931. You can email your comments, questions and suggestions as MP3 file attachments, if you wish (max. 5Mb attachment, please!). We’ll be happy to see how we can include your audio contribution in a show.
So, until Monday April 25…
(Cross-posted from For Immediate Release, Shel’s and my podcast blog.)