Content summary: Listeners’ comments (on the Paris Hilton podcast, Adam Curry’s and Ron Bloom’s strategy cast, how podcasts can keep you from getting a traffic ticket, saving shows on a dedicated hard disk, the Business Week blogging cover story – from Business Week – and corporate vs. blogs vs. trade media); downloading sound clips from the Net, new numbers from the Pew Internet and American Life Project, blogging in English, uploading Les Blogs photos to FLickr, Hugh McLeod t-shirts, blocking employee access to blogs, Business Week and Forbes podcasts, ScienceCast.net, the US Forest Service shift from internal to external PR practitioners, more on Paris Hilton, and the UK Election.
Show notes for May 5, 2005
Welcome to For Immediate Release: The Hobson & Holtz Report, a 53-minute discussion recorded live from Concord, California and almost live from Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Download the file here (MP3, 32.5MB), or sign up for the RSS feed to get it and future shows automatically. (For automatic synchronization with your iPod or other digital player, you’ll also need software such as the FeedDemon RSS aggregator, or the free ipodder or DopplerRadio).
In this edition:
- 00:30 Shel introduces the show; Shel on the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival
- 08.01 Listeners’ comments with Shel, including 1 MP3; how to give your feedback; show notes
- 19.00 Neville introduces his segment
- 19:50 Neville on downloading sound clips from the Net
- 21.38 Neville on new numbers from The Pew Internet and American Life Project
- 23.45 Neville on blogging in English
- 26.10 Neville on photos from Les Blogs uploaded to Flickr
- 27.45 Neville on Hugh MacLeod’s Gaping Void t-shirts
- 29.04 Shel on companies restricting employee access to blogs
- 32.39 Shel on Business Week and Forbes introducing podcasts
- 34.42 Promo for ScienceCast.net
- 36.43 Shel on the US Forest Service seeking to replace internal communicators with external PR practitioners
- 41.16 Neville returns to the Paris Hilton discussion
- 43.25 Neville on the lack of new-media coverage of the upcoming UK election
- 46:57 We’re together again next week; show notes; how to give your feedback; let us know if you want to guest co-host the show; about the music and the band; outro music
Links for the blogs, individuals, companies and organizations we discussed or mentioned in the show:
Intro – Paris Hilton podcast, The Simple Life, Paris Hilton’s book, "Confessions of an Heiress (enough with Paris Hilton already), Podcast NYC, Adam Curry’s Daily Source Code, Podshow.com, BoKu Communications, Ron Bloom, Dave Winer, KYOU Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, Dan York’s blog post about how our podcast saved him from a traffic ticket, Heather Green from Business Week, Robin Capper’s blog post.
Features – Audacity recording software, Skype, Nicole Simon’s Useful Sounds, Pew Internet & American Life Project report on blogging, Pew Internet & American Life Project’s report on podcasting, Lois Le Meur’s English blog, Loic Le Meur’s French blog, Les Blogs, Flickr, Hugh MacLeod’s Gaping Void blog, Frank Barnako’s Internet Daily, Business Week podcast announcement, Steve Wildsrom, Forbes magazine’s podcast, ScienceCast.Net, YubaNet story on Forest Service decision to replace staff communicators with PR agencies, US Forest Service, UK Labour Party, Tony Blair’s diary, The Prescott Express, Guardian election coverage, BBC election coverage.
If you have comments or questions about this show, or suggestions for our future shows, email us at email@example.com, or call the Comment Line at +1 206 984 0931. You can email your comments, questions and suggestions as MP3 file attachments, if you wish (max. 5Mb attachment, please!). We’ll be happy to see how we can include your audio contribution in a show.
So, until Monday, May 9…
(Cross-posted from For Immediate Release, Shel’s and my podcast blog.)