Content summary: Listeners’ comments (on wit and wisdom from FIR; being stunned by Tudor Williams and Angela Sinickas; the heroes from Siemens USA); nice London hotel: blogging the IABC conference; bad press for the EC and the waste of the EU; the PR, blogs and press releases mashup; MIT surveys blog usage; Todd Cochrane’s podcasting book; blogs, RSS PR and SEC requirements; long podcasts and listening to FIR.
Show notes for June 27, 2005
Welcome to For Immediate Release: The Hobson & Holtz Report, a 49-minute conversation recorded live from Washington, DC, USA, and almost live from London, England.
Download the file here (MP3, 20MB), or sign up for the RSS feed to get it and future shows automatically. (For automatic synchronization with your iPod or other digital player, you’ll also need software such as the FeedDemon RSS aggregator, or the free ipodder or DopplerRadio).
In this edition:
- 00:29 Shel introduces the show; how to give your feedback; show notes; what’s in this edition
Discussion on listeners’ comments:
- 02:33 Judy Jones says she gets wit and wisdom from listening to FIR
- 03:24 Lee Hopkins is stunned by the interview with Tudor Williams and Angela Sinickas on employee communication measurement
- 04:46 John Ridings declares the two guys from Siemens USA are his heroes
- 06:36 Neville likes his hotel room in London; on the IABC International Conference and the posse of bloggers; how the European Commission London office is rebutting negative press coverage; perceptions of the EU as a ‘wasted institution’ as the Wall Street Journal writes about Brussels
- 18:27 Shel highlights the opening day of the IABC conference in Washington; on messages, sound bites, PR candour and blogs: fire PR people and just engage bloggers – it’s an absurd notion!
- 31:32 Neville talks about blogs replacing press releases: what Steve Rubel, Tom Murphy and Trevor Cook said and asks why shouldn’t blogs be a PR channel; MIT’s blog usage survey; just received Todd Cochrane’s book on podcasting
- 38:24 Shel again on press releases and blogs: repetition of messages, how blogs or RSS won’t meet regulatory requirements for disclosure (needs push not pull)
- 42:17 Shel plans to head on out to the conference and get some podcast interviews done; on the length of podcasts and thanks for listening to FIR
- 44:07 Shel outros the show; how to give your feedback; show notes; music
Links for the blogs, individuals, companies and organizations we discussed or mentioned in the show:
Listeners’ comments discussion – Judy Jones, IABC New York Chapter blog, Lee Hopkins, Tudor Williams, Angela Sinickas, John Ridings, Big Chief Tablet, Siemens USA, Associations Unorthodox, Jeff de Cagna’s IABC conference session on Innovation.
Features – Road Weary, Hilton Paddington, IABC international conference, Shel’s conference session on the best of the web and intranets, IABC Cafe, Warren Bickford, Jeremy Pepper, Charles Pizzo, IABC conference Technorati tag, Alex Bellinger, SmallBizPod, EC UK Representative Office, EC London press rebuttal page, Margot Wallstrom’s blog, Wall Street Journal Europe, Siim Kallas, Holocaust Museum, IABC conference opening session, David Kistle (PDF), James Carville’s and Mary Matalin’s IABC conference keynote opening session, CNN, Todd Cochrane, Geek News Central, Gnomedex, Chris Pirillo, Lockergnome, Dave Winer, Adam Curry, Steve Rubel, Burson-Marsteller, Marqui, Shel’s rant on blogs and press releases, Tom Murphy, Trevor Cook, Sally Saville Hodge, Marketing Profs, vSkype, MIT’s weblog survey, Amazon.co.uk, Podcasting: The Do It Yourself Guide by Todd Cochrane, Raytheon, Securities & Exchange Commission, Dow Jones, Investors Business Daily.
If you have comments or questions about this show, or suggestions for our future shows, email us at email@example.com, or call the Comment Line at +1 206 984 0931. You can email your comments, questions and suggestions as MP3 file attachments, if you wish (max. 5Mb attachment, please!). We’ll be happy to see how we can include your audio contribution in a show.
So, until Thursday June 30…
(Cross-posted from For Immediate Release, Shel’s and my podcast blog.)