Content summary: Listeners’ comments discussion (on enjoying On A Podcast; effects of failing to meet customers’ expectations; collaborative new media in the church; understanding the tech landscape; digital rights; pitching bloggers; PR uses for tags, supporting a cause); FIR in GNC; open source production at GNC; Talk Digger; Fox Network podcasts; talking blogs with Talkr; GoingOn aggregates the digital lifestyle; Simply Fired; the Kryptonite perspective; being unplugged from the blogosphere and the perspectives.
Show notes for August 1, 2005
Welcome to For Immediate Release: The Hobson & Holtz Report, a 72-minute conversation recorded live from Amsterdam, The Netherlands, and New York City, USA.
Download the file here (MP3, 29MB), or sign up for the RSS feed to get it and future shows automatically. (For automatic synchronization with your iPod or other digital player, you’ll also need a podcatcher such as the free iPodder, DopplerRadio or iTunes 4.9, or an RSS aggregator that supports podcasts such as FeedDemon).
In this edition:
- 00:30 Neville introduces the show; how to give your feedback; show notes; thanks for your votes in the Podcast Awards.
Listeners’ comments discussion:
- 02:51 Jeff Clavier enjoyed listening to On A Podcast, good luck in the Podcast Awards, happy 50th, and BlogHer
- 03:39 Nik Friedman on the Google effect, trackbacks and the blogger community on companies who fail to meet customers’ expectations; Shel’s negative hotel experience in New York
- 05:06 Sallie Draper with news on collaborative blogging and podcasting by her Lutheran church community
- 07:18 Neville reports on email discussion he’s had with Cruisebox, the band who produced On A Podcast: "Indie podcasting sooo over? We think not!"
- 08:35 Rich Casey says communicators need to understand the tech landscape much better than they currently do
- 10:33 Marshall Kirkpatrick on protecting digital rights, pitching bloggers, PR uses for tags, and gaining blogger interest in supporting a cause
News and Features:
- 17:26 FIR gets a mention in Geek News Central (thanks Todd!)
- 19:02 Shel describes the new audience-produced opening to Geek News Central – great open source production
- 20:43 Searching multiple blog search engines with Talk Digger
- 26:52 Fox Network jumps into entertainment podcasting, delivering show summaries to reinforce their brands
- 31:35 Listening to blog posts with Talkr – blog podcasting via RSS; developments in voice synthesization
- 38:04 Online personal identity management with GoingOn – a digital lifestyle aggregator
- 40:58 Rick Bruner returns to the blogosphere with a new collaborative Business Blog Consulting
- 44:02 Learn about other people’s ‘exit strategies’ at Simply Fired
- 46:45 What’s the real story about the Kryptonite bike lock and the Bic pen? Almost a year on and Kryptonite’s PR manager joins the conversation
- 55:45 From Our Correspondent Down Under: Lee Hopkins – on being unplugged from the blogosphere for two weeks, how blogs and podcasts differentiate communicators, putting it all in perspective
- 63:40 Shel outros the show; how to give your feedback; show notes
- 64:50 Upcoming confirmed interviews – Constantin Basturea on August 9; Pete Blackshaw, Intelliseek, on August 16
- 65:32 Something different for Thursday’s show – recorded live from a McGraw-Hill communicators’ meeting
- 67:20 Neville introduces the music
Links for the blogs, individuals, companies and organizations we discussed or mentioned in the show:
Listeners’ comments discussion – Jeff Clavier, On A Podcast, BlogHer, Nik Friedman, Quick Boys Movers, Sallie Draper, WELS, Greg St Claire, Cruisebox, Rich Casey, IABC 2005 conference, IABC, Raytheon, del.icio.us, iTunes, iPod, Marshall Kirkpatrick, Committee to Protect Bloggers, Steve Rubel’s tag request, John Udell, Gillmor Gang, Furl, Live8, Heather Green, Stephen Baker, Digital Sandbox.
News and Features – Geek News Central, RadioDaddy.com, Talk Digger, Bloglines, Technorati, Blogpulse, PubSub, Ice Rocket, Feedster, Blogdigger, MSN Search, Google, Mary Hodder, Robert Scoble, Fox Network, 24, Libsyn, Dawn & Drew Show, Catholic Insider, Adam Curry, Talkr, Corante, Ford, Flickr, Marc Canter, GoingOn, LinkedIn, Rick Bruner, Business Blog Consulting, Paul Chaney, Wayne Hulbert, BL Ochman, Steve Rubel, Todd Sattersten, Debbie Weil, Simply Fired, Mark Jen, Kryptonite Bike Lock, Ingersoll-Rand, Fortune article about Kryptonite, Shel Israel, Naked Conversations: Kryptonite Argues Its Case, Donna Tocci, Eric Eggertson, Jeremy Wright, Engadget, Lee Hopkins, Tom Peters, Lee Lefever, TypePad.
Outro – Constantin Basturea, Global PR Blog Week 2.0, Pete Blackshaw, Intelliseek, McGraw Hill, Business Week, La Tribu, Sylvia, Garageband.com, For Immediate Release, A Shel of My Former Self, NevOn.
If you have comments or questions about this show, or suggestions for our future shows, email us at email@example.com, or call the Comment Line at +1 206 984 0931. You can email your comments, questions and suggestions as MP3 file attachments, if you wish (max. 5Mb attachment, please!). We’ll be happy to see how we can include your audio contribution in a show.
So, until Thursday August 4…
(Cross-posted from For Immediate Release, Shel’s and my podcast blog.)