Content summary: Listeners’ comments discussion (new media, resumes and Googling job seekers; book promotion and blog tours); interviews and reviews; Ray Nagin’s radio interview, Zip 71101 podcast interviews and more Katrina news; new weekly podcast from Steve Rubel and Joseph Jaffe; from our Correspondent Down Under; Darren Barefoot argues that text is better than audio.
Show notes for September 5, 2005
Welcome to For Immediate Release: The Hobson & Holtz Report, a 76-minute conversation recorded live from Concord, California, USA, and Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Download the file here (MP3, 30MB), or sign up for the RSS feed to get it and future shows automatically. (For automatic synchronization with your iPod or other digital player, you’ll also need a podcatcher such as the free iPodder, DopplerRadio or iTunes 4.9, or an RSS aggregator that supports podcasts such as FeedDemon).
Show notes OPML: We’re experimenting with producing concise show notes as an OPML file (download this show’s notes here) that will enable you to have the notes on your own PC, Mac, PDA or other device. To use this file, we suggest trying Dave Winer’s OPML Editor. Let us know if you find this format useful – would you like us to continue doing this?
In this Edition:
- 00:31 Shel introduces the show; what the show’s about; how to give your feedback; what’s in this edition; show notes
Listeners’ comments discussion:
- 02:46 Nik from Colorado on using new media tools with resumes/CVs when job hunting, Googling job hunters and recruiters, and chapters files for podcasts
- 14:28 Nicole Simon on book promotion and blog tours
Interviews and Reviews:
- 17:17 Interview – Jeremy Wright, August 30
- 18:26 Book review – Podcast Solutions, September 1
- 19:14 Upcoming book reviews – Beyond Bullet Points, The Virtual Handshake, Return on Customers, Communities Dominate Brands
Hurricane Katrina News:
- 21:45 New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin’s radio interview – passion, anger and a call to action: a raw mixture of plain speaking and strong emotion and the contrast with the scripted press conference
- 31:56 The wide-ranging roles of company intranets and public blogs in hurricane relief efforts
- 35:38 Zip 71101 – a podcast of on-the-spot interviews with Katrina evacuees
- 38:46 IABC Cafe discussions on Katrina
- 41:09 Mapping the devastation – zooming in to the street level with Google Earth and Google Maps
News and Features:
- 44:40 Across the Sound – Steve Rubel‘s and Joseph Jaffe‘s new weekly podcast on new media and marketing
- 47:48 From Our Correspondent Down Under – Lee Hopkins: intelligent life and the flying spaghetti monster, the lost art of ink and paper combat, counselling and support for those suffering from post-traumative podcast disorder and other malaises
- 53:16 Audio and text – is it either or? We discuss Darren Barefoot‘s argument that text is a far better communication medium than podcasts (What do you think?)
- 69:20 Neville outros the show; how to give your feedback; show notes; the music
Links for the blogs, individuals, companies and organizations we discussed or mentioned in the show:
Interviews and Reviews – Jeremy Wright, Ensight, Blog Marketing, Podcast Solutions, Michael Geoghegan, Dan Klass, Disney, Cliff Atkinson, Beyond Bullet Points, The Virtual Handshake, Return on Customers, Communities Dominate Brands, Alan Moore.
Hurricane Katrina News – Ray Nagin, New Orleans, Hurricane Katrina, President Bush, 9/11, Rudy Giuliani, Wikipedia, Jim Lukach, Siemens USA, WWL, Continental Airlines, Daily Source Code, Zip 71101, Ron Stroope, BBC World, CNN, IABC Cafe, Warren Bickford, Gerard Braud, Google Earth, Google Maps, Charles Pizzo.
News and Features – Across the Sound, Steve Rubel, Joseph Jaffe, Skype, Gizmo, Lee Hopkins, Allan Jenkins, Doug Johnson, Basildon Bond, DIY Planner, Derek Leverington, Podcast Anxiety: a cure has been found, Dawn & Drew Show, Darren Barefoot, Neville’s post: Communication innovation with podcasting, The Conference Board, Lee Hornick, Dan Gillmor, Purina, IBM, GM, FeedBurner, Podshow, Adam Curry, Ron Bloom, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, Sequoia Capital, Odeo, Endurance Radio, Fleet Sports, Gatorade, Geek News Central, GoDaddy.com.
If you have comments or questions about this show, or suggestions for our future shows, email us at email@example.com, or call the Comment Line at +1 206 984 0931. You can email your comments, questions and suggestions as MP3 file attachments, if you wish (max. 5Mb attachment, please!). We’ll be happy to see how we can include your audio contribution in a show.
So, until Thursday September 8…
(Cross-posted from For Immediate Release, Shel’s and my podcast blog.)