Content summary: Listeners’ comments discussion (more on, and from, the anonymous Publix blogger; loving the new FIR logo; transcribing show notes; proactive vs. reactive again); IABC’s new website; software to help eliminate jargon from writing; Technorati’s latest state of the blogosphere; Lee Hopkins’ report; The Conference Board Europe’s communications meeting; no podosphere PR yet; PR Week’s media trends to watch; Dan York’s report; upcoming FIR interviews and book reviews.
Show notes for October 17, 2005
Welcome to For Immediate Release: The Hobson & Holtz Report, a 90-minute conversation recorded live from Amsterdam, The Netherlands, and Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
Download the file here (MP3, 38MB), or sign up for the RSS feed to get it and future shows automatically. (For automatic synchronization with your iPod or other digital player, you’ll also need a podcatcher such as the free iPodder, DopplerRadio, iTunes or Yahoo! Podcasts, or an RSS aggregator that supports podcasts such as FeedDemon).
Show notes OPML: Get the show notes on your own PC, Mac, PDA or other device. To use this file, we suggest trying Dave Winer’s OPML Editor (for Windows).
In this Edition:
- 00:28 Neville introduces the show; what’s in this edition; how to give your feedback; show notes
- 01:56 Last Thursday’s show recorded on Wednesday – an unexpected change for some listeners
- 03:31 A correction for Robin Good about Neville’s and Shel’s profession – what ‘ABC’ means
Listeners’ comments discussion:
- 08:17 Robert French says Josh Hallett’s post on the Marcom blog about the anonymous Publix blogger is a good lesson for his PR students
- 11:48 We hear from the anonymous Publix blogger who wants to clear up some misconceptions about his/her beliefs and anonymity
- 18:35 Michael Bellina loves the new FIR logo and wants to help with the show anyway he can (thanks, Michael!)
- 19:16 Chris Thilk also loves the new FIR logo, and the new place for show note links on The New PR Wiki
- 19:47 Ted Graham asks if we’ve considered working with a transcription service to get full text show notes
- 21:43 Sally Goetsch provides the definitive analysis of the ‘proactive’ word topic that’s been commented on in recent shows
- 23:54 IABC unveils its brand new website – we have some opinions
- 32:07 Two software apps to help you eliminate jargon from your writing – Bullfighter and Whitesmoke
- 37:01 Technorati’s Dave Sifry publishes the latest state of the blogosphere – continued growth, including the alarming rise of spam blogs; Chris Pirillo says most spam blogs are hosted on Blogspot and rants that Google needs to fix it
- 47:27 From Our Correspondent Down Under: Lee Hopkins – on kahvi.org’s pop-up problem; Sir Daniel of Prius and Sir Eric of Spinfluence; personalising one’s laptop; SiteSell hosting and RSS integration; IABC Malaysia interviews me on podcasting; Berlo’s S-M-C-R model of communication – interactive or transactional process? and finally, Vegemite and why kiwis consume more of the stuff.
- 56:12 Neville presented at a meeting in Germany last week of The Conference Board’s European Council on Corporate Communications – some thoughts and impressions
- 62:13 Podosphere PR? Not yet, says Mike Manuel, and has a poll to prove it. When will podcasting get on the PR pitching radar?
- 67:07 PR Week’s 10 media trends worth watching
- 73:53 Dan York‘s Report (with recordings of sheep in Vermont) – on another Skype phone; other wiki projects from Wikimedia.org; loves the new FIR logo; the new way to read the blogosphere with Memeorandum; on unethical ways to boost search engine rankings; publicizing your RSS feed with FeedBurner’s PingShot; more on the ‘proactive’ word; and sheep do jump
- 82:14 Shel outros the show; Shel’s solo on this Thursday’s show as Neville’s speaking at a conference in Brussels; both Shel and Neville back together live as usual for next Monday’s show
- 83:19 Upcoming FIR interviews – Jonathan Mast, Sedgwick CMS, on Monday October 24; Vicki Warker, Sprint, date being fixed
- 84:38 Upcoming book reviews – The Virtual Handshake; Naked Conversations
- 85:26 How to give your feedback; show notes
- 86:22 Shel intros the podsafe music via Podshow.com – 10p Mix from Amplifico
Links for the blogs, individuals, companies and organizations we discussed or mentioned in the show are now posted to the FIR Show Links pages at The New PR Wiki. You can contribute – see the home page for info.
If you have comments or questions about this show, or suggestions for our future shows, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the Comment Line at +1 206 984 0931. You can email your comments, questions and suggestions as MP3 file attachments, if you wish (max. 5Mb attachment, please!). We’ll be happy to see how we can include your audio contribution in a show.
So, until Thursday October 20…
(Cross-posted from For Immediate Release, Shel’s and my podcast blog.)