Content summary: Splogs and Blogspot, questionable observations from IABC’s Canada conference, an intimidating panel, a new publisher lawsuit against Google, LA Podcasters’ Freeway Series, Dan York’s contribution, a fake Harriet Miers blog, two blogging studies, listener comments, and more.
Show notes for October 20, 2005
Welcome to For Immediate Release: The Hobson & Holtz Report, a 65-minute discussion recorded live from Chicago, Illinois, USA, and almost live from Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Download the file here (MP3, 26.3MB), or sign up for the RSS feed to get it and future shows automatically. (For automatic synchronization with your iPod or other digital player, you’ll also need a podcatcher such as the free iPodder, DopplerRadio, iTunes or Yahoo! Podcasts, or an RSS aggregator that supports podcasts such as FeedDemon).
Sorry, no OPML show outline this week…perhaps we’ll get to them later.
In this Edition:
- 00:00 A shoutout from Christopher Bennett
- 00:49 Shel introduces the show; what’s in this edition; how to give your feedback; show notes
Listeners’ comments discussion:
- 02:53 Dave Traynor on the FIR logo (it’s not appearing for him, or us either) and the Google/Blogger.com/Blogspot.com splot controversy
- 04:56 Lee Hopkins likes our new blog banner
- 05:04 Sallie Goetch comments on the word “digitalization” (say it three times fast)
- 06:24 Dan York also has thoughts on “digitalization”
- 06:52 Sallie’s back with thoughts on “disintermediation”
- 07:35 Lee Hopkins is glad Sallie Goetch is here
- 07:44 Glenn Slaven with an idea for transcribing FIR on a wiki
- 08:53 Fred Zelders updates on the OPML search engine
- 09:22 Lloyd Grosse on Aussie references
- 11:03 Neville fills us in on why he’s in Brussels
- 14:05 Neville on splogs and Blogspot.com
- 18:56 Shel defends Neville’s 17-minute segment
- 19:30 Comments from speakers at the IABC Canada conference
- 28:37 Big-time publishers sue to stop Google Print
- 31:44 Eric Schwartzman and LA Podcasters plan “live” podcast event
- 35:10 Dan York on Lee’s kind words
- 35:45 Dan York on Whiteboard
- 37:02 Dan York on South Asia Quake Help
- 37:51 Dan York on a Podcast Review
- 38:58 Like Lee, Dan’s glad Sallie’s involved with the show
- 39:22 Dan credits for the music in his report
- 40:00 A fake blog about a real person, U.S. Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers
- 45:49 A Katrina relief promo
- 47:45 Neville on the BlogOn survey
- 50:44 Neville on the Edelman study, “New Frontiers in Employee Communications 2005”
- 54:44 Shel adds some thoughts on the BlogOn study
- 57:19 Shel reminds you about comments, show notes, and upcoming programming on FIR
- 58:27 Shel intros the podsafe music via Podshow.com – Round One from Evan Tate
Links for the blogs, individuals, companies and organizations we discussed or mentioned in the show are now posted to the FIR Show Links pages at The New PR Wiki. You can contribute – see the home page for info.
If you have comments or questions about this show, or suggestions for our future shows, email us at email@example.com, or call the Comment Line at +1 206 984 0931. You can email your comments, questions and suggestions as MP3 file attachments, if you wish (max. 5Mb attachment, please!). We’ll be happy to see how we can include your audio contribution in a show.
So, until Monday, October 24…
(Cross-posted from For Immediate Release, Shel’s and my podcast blog.)