Content summary: Listeners’ comments discussion (podcast artwork and iTunes; fake blogs; ‘sprawlopolis’; Blogger.com and Captcha; how to measure podcast listenership; what’s "The Giant Global Focus Group" at IABC EuroComm?); The Spinfluencer interviews Heather Green; Neville guests on Britcaster podcast #3; anonymous Publix employee blog vanishes; measuring blog effectiveness; Guidewire responds to blog survey criticisms; PRSA cancels Florida conference; legal woes for Apple over iPod nano; Lee Hopkins’ report; upcoming FIR interviews and book reviews.
Show notes for October 24, 2005
Welcome to For Immediate Release: The Hobson & Holtz Report, an 84-minute conversation recorded live from Concord, California, USA, and Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Download the file here (MP3, 35MB), or sign up for the RSS feed to get it and future shows automatically. (For automatic synchronization with your iPod or other digital player, you’ll also need a podcatcher such as the free iPodder, DopplerRadio, iTunes or Yahoo! Podcasts, or an RSS aggregator that supports podcasts such as FeedDemon).
[Show notes OPML file to come]: Get the show notes on your own PC, Mac, PDA or other device. To use this file, we suggest trying Dave Winer’s OPML Editor (for Windows).
In this Edition:
- 00:31 Shel introduces the show; what the show’s about; what’s in this edition; how to give your feedback; show notes
- 02:08 Upcoming interview today with Jonathan Mast of Sedgwick CMS
- 02:48 Shel speaking on Council of Public Relations Firms panel in New York on Wednesday which he’ll record as an FIR podcast
Listeners’ comments discussion:
- 04:51 Glenn Slaven on podcast artwork not showing in iTunes, and on fake blogs
- 09:26 Sallie Goetsch loves ‘sprawlopolis’; and on Blogger and Captcha
- 12:24 Howard Harawitz offers some suggestions on how to measure podcast listenership
- 16:54 Marc Wright wants to know what the panel discussion on ‘The Giant Global Focus Group’ at the IABC EuroComm conference in December is all about
News & Features:
- 23:29 The Spinfluencer – Eric Schwartzman interviews Heather Green, Business Week technology editor and BW’s Blogspotting blogger
- 30:09 Neville’s guest slot on the third Britcaster podcast
- 32:58 The blog by the anonymous Publix employee blogger has vanished (show #77 has the background to this story)
- 34:50 How do you measure the effectiveness of blogs? KD Paine has some suggestions; we think it’s quite a complex subject
- 43:19 Guidewire responds to critical questioning by Constantin Basturea on the validity of the results of their blogging survey presented at the BlogOn conference last week
- 49:53 PRSA cancels its annual conference in Florida because of Hurricane Wilma
- 56:02 Problems could continue for Apple over the iPod nano screen scratches, with a lawsuit filed in the US
- 61:05 From Our Correspondent Down Under: Lee Hopkins – on Apple’s 75% reported market share of mp3 players; comms within a company that doesn’t communicate; corporate cliches; the semantic web: man’s search for meaning; McDonalds, the new battlelines and the possibility of our evangelism being a waste of energy and time
- 72:12 Shel’s extra item related to the Podictionary definition of ‘celebrate’
- 75:11 Neville outros the show; how to give your feedback, upcoming interviews
- 76:54 A queue of books for podcast review – Naked Conversations, The Virtual Handshake, Communities Dominate Brands, Beyond Bullet Points, and Return on Customer
- 78:17 The music – Grey (Citizens Cope) by Brianna via Garageband.com
Links for the blogs, individuals, companies and organizations we discussed or mentioned in the show are now posted to the FIR Show Links pages at The New PR Wiki. You can contribute – see the home page for info.
If you have comments or questions about this show, or suggestions for our future shows, email us at email@example.com, or call the Comment Line at +1 206 984 0931. You can email your comments, questions and suggestions as MP3 file attachments, if you wish (max. 5Mb attachment, please!). We’ll be happy to see how we can include your audio contribution in a show.
So, until Thursday October 27…
(Cross-posted from For Immediate Release, Shel’s and my podcast blog.)