Content summary: The Bad Pitch Blog; blogging Gonzo the Whale; Washington Post comments brouhaha; science blogs as a vehicle for selling ads; thoughts, commentary and a question from The Copenhagen Bloggers; Lee Hopkins’ report; Shel’s and Neville’s podcast interviews; listeners’ comments discussion (stop talking about rewinding; adopting intelligent evaluation for PR; IABC, corporate blogs, CPRS); growing FIR Frappr community; links on The New PR Wiki; Windows Live; the music.
Show notes for January 23, 2006
Welcome to For Immediate Release: The Hobson & Holtz Report, an 86-minute conversation recorded live from Concord, California, USA, and Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Download the file here (MP3, 34MB), or sign up for the RSS feed to get it and future shows automatically. (For automatic synchronization with your iPod or other digital player, you’ll also need a podcatcher such as the free Juice, DopplerRadio, iTunes or Yahoo! Podcasts, or an RSS aggregator that supports podcasts such as FeedDemon).
In this Edition:
- 00:28 Shel intros the show; what the show’s about; how to give your feedback; show notes
- 01:32 Outing bad PR pitches – Kevin Dugan and Richard Laermer launch The Bad Pitch Blog
- 06:43 Lewis PR blogs Gonzo the whale with the Whale Watch Blog, highlights animal charities
- 13:41 The Washington Post turns off blog commenting, provoking a bit of a brouhaha
- 24:03 A science blogs network launches as a vehicle for selling advertising
- 30:31 Where is PR going in the next five years? Thoughts, commentary and that question from The Copenhagen Bloggers; we offer some thoughts in response including some ideas about ‘stinkcasting’
- 54:11 Shel Israel shouts out!
- 54:22 Lee Hopkins reports – an interview with two ‘shady underworld figures’; the Transparent Generation; the printing and photocopying blues in Dubai
- 58:20 Neville and Shel on recent podcast interviews by Lee Hopkins, Tom Raftery and Jacob Boetter
Listeners’ Comments Discussion:
- 60:10 Sallie Goetsch says maybe it’s time for us to stop talking about ‘rewinding’
- 62:52 David Phillips on the need to adopt intelligent evaluation in PR to get any sense of where the good stuff is and where the croc lurks in the swamp
- 73:32 Brian Kilgore on matters IABC, corporate blogs, the CPRS and more
- 77:13 Neville wraps the show; the growing FIR community on Frappr – add yourself!
- 79:36 How and where to send your comments; where to find the show notes
- 80:12 Shel’s reminder that links to people and places we talk about in FIR are on The New PR Wiki – you can add links
- 81:27 Shel will be solo on Thursday’s show as Neville will be at the UK public preview of Microsoft’s Windows Live
- 81:58 Outro podsafe music via PodcastNYC – Kissed Awake by Cordalene
Links for the blogs, individuals, companies and organizations we discussed or mentioned in the show are posted to the FIR Show Links pages at The New PR Wiki. You can contribute – see the home page for info.
If you have comments or questions about this show, or suggestions for our future shows, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the Comment Line at +1 206 222 2803. You can email your comments, questions and suggestions as MP3 file attachments, if you wish (max. 5Mb attachment, please!). We’ll be happy to see how we can include your audio contribution in a show.
So, until Thursday January 26…
(Cross-posted from For Immediate Release, Shel’s and my podcast blog.)