We have a scheduled maintenance window on Saturday evening from 11:00 PM through Sunday morning at approximately 4:00 AM to upgrade our database server. Upgrading the database server will enable us to further scale our operations and deliver stronger, more reliable performance.
Those times are equivalent to 8:00am to 1:00pm Central European Time (GMT +1) tomorrow Sunday. And here’s the most important news for customers:
Weblogs will be accessible to your readers during this time, however you will not be able to publish posts, leave comments or receive TrackBacks.
In other words, people can visit your blog but you’ll not be able to do any publishing, editing, comment/trackback approvals or otherwise interact with your blog, only visit it.
[…] As of 9:00 am PST on Tuesday, February 7th, We will no longer be accepting weblog traffic on IP addresses 18.104.22.168 (old IP) or 22.214.171.124 (temporary IP used during data center move)
The vast majority of our customers and readers of their blogs will not be impacted by this change.
There are a small number of customers (less than 100, based on our analysis) who are currently using the Domain Mapping feature on TypePad and have hardcoded their domain to either of these IP. As of 9:00 am on Tuesday, their weblogs will be inaccessible at their mapped domain name. Viewers of these domain mapped weblogs will be presented with information explaining this service change and steps necessary to remap their domains.
In preparation for this event, we have emailed these customers on nearly a weekly basis, informing them about this change, and encouraging them to modify their settings at their domain registrar.
With such things going on, now is a good time to back up your blog. Do it today if you can, before the maintenance starts. Here’s how:
Backup your blog
- Log in to your TypePad account.
- Click on the name of one of your blog accounts (or the only one). You should now be at this location: TypePad home > Your Weblogs > [Blog name].
- Above the blog name towards the top of the page, you’ll see a row of links. The one you’re looking for says “Import/Export.”Click on that.
- Location: TypePad home > Your Weblogs > [Blog name] > Post > Import/Export.
- Scroll to the very bottom of the page, where you’ll see a link called “Export Posts from your TypePad Weblog: [blog name].”
- In Windows, right click on that link and choose “Save link as…” (Firefox) or “Save target as…” (Internet Explorer).
- Choose a place on your compouter to save the file.
- The file downloads, and you’re done.
A couple of things to note.
I’ve just backed up this blog; the default filename the backup has is post.htm. If you get a similar name, you’ll need to do at least one thing – change the file extension to .txt as it’s not an HTML file, just plain text. Then you’ll likely want to give the file a more meaningful name.
Related Nevon posts:
- Getting back up to speed with TypePad
- TypePad’s indelible record
- TypePad customers get an offer that’s hard to refuse